Monday, September 8, 2008

Arthritis Is For Old People...like me.

You know how they say we are getting younger and younger? Our athletes are staying competitive longer. Older baseball players, older basketball players, some ancient Olympians in China this past month. The UFC heavyweight champion of the world is Randy Couture. He's 45 years old, and in a sport where guys bash each others brains in.

If these guys can do it then why the hell do I feel like i'm 34 going on 65, with the senior discount pending?? I feel old. My body feels run down. Granted, I keep a pretty active schedule. I guess you can say I pound my body well enough. I just never expected to feel my age.

Ten years ago any and all kinds of pain were temporary. Now I have what's known as 'permanent' pain. The kind that doesn't go away.

It started about 6 years ago when my physical therapist told me that my shoulder condition was chronic and I would just have to learn to manage with it.

I wasn't about to give up rock climbing, so 'managing' was the alternative. In the process of managing my pain, I added more. Last year I fell while climbing and broke my left ankle. Then I had to hike almost 5 miles back to the car on it. (yeah that's me hiking under duress above)

Now I have carpal on my right hand. I have alternating pain between my left index finger and thumb. In the spirit of full disclosure I did come back from 10 days of rock climbing in Yosemite Valley.

It just aggravates me though.

I got an x-ray on my right foot because everytime I went into the mountains I felt an urge to chop off my painful big toes. The doc told me I have osteoarthritis. That's something you tell old people! Not me.

Pain used to go away. Rarely did I ever take tylenol or aspirin. I just road out the pain, it went away. bye bye. Now i'm popping those babies like tic tacs.

I guess i'm just not ready to feel old. I had it coming to me, abusing my body like a rental car with the optional insurance.

You know what I resent about carpal tunnel? I picked it up working at a job I hate. Well, I download too much music and like to tinker with photoshop for hours on end. But I blame it on the stinking job! I'm working right now if that tells you anything.

Anyways, not to sound so unsexy, but I am in pain. Bitch. Whine. Bitch.

No comments: